Monday, November 14, 2011

Yeezy Taught me

So this week was an examination of celebrity and fandom, and with every example, comes the opportunity to apply it to our own lives. Let me start off by saying I am an unhealthy Kanye West fan. Ever since College Drop out (his first album in 2004) I've had all the albums. My first concert I attended was his back in '06.. I've seen him 3 times since (it will be four in december after the Watch the Throne Tour). I can attribute a lot of my style to inspiration from him, (bright colors or colored accessories to match against a more conservative outfit). I have Kanye West Bapestars (a limited edition japanese sneaker) and when is signature nike shoe comes out in the summer... I will probably be in line.

To me he means a lot of things, most consider him an asshole and I really won't spend the post trying to defend him, but I discovered hip hop music through his lyrics and I would never have chose to come to this city all the way from Connecticut if it had not been for his music and my interest in its origins. I wonder if I have a sick obsession? If I am just like the avatar people that show up at the comicon conventions or the hardcore sports people. To me, (and as studies indicate) I enjoy referring to myself as extremely different from the obsession that grips those people. To me, I use West as an emblem or physical manifestation of my own creative spirit, a spirit that defies status quos and is an undying optimist and swagger that most people lack. Too often in society people are weighed down by a feeling of self conscience and acceptance of the greater population. His stardom, is a rebel attitude towards others opinion but not one that is bulletproof or not often marred by personal tragedy. For this I follow him avidly and look up to him as an innovator and stylistic genius. This may have been a text book case of idolatry but I ask that if these figures embody higher ideas or ideology that people follow does it make them equally as culpable as the normal fans? Why or Why not

No comments:

Post a Comment