Thursday, November 10, 2011

W.O.W

Talking about fans made me think of one of the largest there is - World of Warcraft. We watched a video about some ultimate fans and the Blizzard convention that they go to in one of my other classes. It was astonishing what I saw. People didn't just use it to get connected to the game but to the people they played with in the game. It was all about an experience and making friends and even husbands/wifes out of it. There were multiple stories of men and women meeting in their online gaming group and then meeting and the convention and getting married. I would have never thought a game could bring people together to that extent but they seemed happier than anyone I knew. It was also this way for all of the friends who met there from online. It was so crazy how they knew who everyone was just from their voice and knew they were meeting the right people. Some even said they have stayed life long friends with their fellow gamers. Also at the convention were the most extravagant costumes I have ever seen. People looked like they could have spent months and tons of money to get them ready for this one big day. Everyone that I was in the class with just laughed at these people thinking they were wasting their time and I must admit that it is not somethin I'd be into as well but it is clear that this is much more than a game to some people, it is a lifestyle.

1 comment:

  1. My friends brother is actually one of those people who met his wife through WoW and they are a really happy normal couple. But I don't think WoW is really a lifestyle, more like an interest that people want someone else to relate with and so they might find their life partners through the same interest. It's like Couples who are both interested in wine tasting and like to be with someone who has the same opinion in wines.

    ReplyDelete