Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fandom - A Freedom of Expression?

Yesterday in class, we talked about 'fandom' - an 'overly obsessive' response to literature, film, music, etc. From my point of view, it seemed as though some of the people in my group had more of an open mind towards fansites and whatnot, I could almost pick out the fans of themselves. Of course, I am not judging - I'm a fan of something, myself. However, I also noticed other diverse opinions among my class that represented the side of the population who doesn't understand this phenomenon. Personally, being a huge fan of music - I can understand where these Harry Potter, Twilight, Star Wars, LOTR lovers are coming from. I do however, think that sometimes something can be taken too far. For example, in our group, we examined a fandom case with a site called 'Mugglenet,' and although I can understand loving something enough to create a website about it - it is somewhat questionable what this guy was going for. I've also seen some weird stories written between male characters or rockstars that most certainly are not homosexual, but people create explicit stories about love scenes between two male or female characters/actual people. I'm REALLY not sure how I feel about this - I think that this is in a way, abuse towards someone's sexual orientation - especially when the characters involved are not just characters. This really bugs me when it pertains to real people, I think it's almost cyberbullying to determine someone's sexual orientation without even knowing them and even going as far to create a rumored story.

No comments:

Post a Comment