Thursday, November 10, 2011

Friendship through Spongebob?

For this week’s blog post I want to focus on Spongebob (yet again). My roommate and best friend, Paloma, LOVES spongebob. She has the tendency to relate everything in our lives (good or bad) to Spongebob (and sometimes the movie Hot Chick). However, the point of this blog post is that for the most part I usually know what she is talking about and she is usually right.

Why is Spongebob (a cartoon) so realistic (to an extent)? I addressed this little in my midterm paper but this time I am wondering why it is that Spongebob ties in so much of reality. Not so much how I tend to find Spongebob counter hegemonic but more of how I tend to find Spongebob as a Kid’s show that actually is doing more than teaching them about dominant ideologies. I find real life lessons in this show that I personally think can be used in real life. For example hating someone, competition, saying sorry, having a friend that is way too stupid. Of course many people could say this about a lot of kid’s show but there is something different about Spongebob. I believe although this show will forever be a show for kids is generally directed toward Adults. I still watch Spongebob when I am stressed out.

The best example I can provide is Paloma’s favorite examples of US. Two best friends that have the tendency to be really REALLY stupid. She compares our relationship to Spongebob and Patrick way too many times in one day. This makes me question, growing up watching this show did it possibly change the way that we see best friends? Did this relationship on TV form how we think of relationships in real life? There are too many examples of how the two of us act like this cartoon. Is that just us or were we made to find people like Spongebob and Patrick?

No comments:

Post a Comment