Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fake Housewives of Fantasy Land

The Youtube clip "Class Dismissed" - really opened my eyes to how television shows portray certain classes of people.  For example, the show "Real Housewives of Beverley Hills" shows the public how upper-class people live their comfortable lives. Watching this show has made me despise these women because of the way the creators have portrayed them. Because I do not judge people instantly, I realized that not all "upper-class" people act like snobs, such as these specific house wives act.  Not all upper class women receive a large amount of plastic surgery nor do they allow "high-school" drama to invade their personal lives every single day. Creators of this show have been able to create some type of "Fantasy Land" for these women to play around in, while entertaining audiences around the world.  While the show can be entertaining, it leaves viewers believing that this is the way the upper class is in real life. While they have money, unlimited resources, and a pension to dress like they're 20 years old - housewives also have children. Housewives who watch the show either feel offended by the fact they these mothers barely spend time with their children, or by the fact that they even should be labeled as "housewives." I mean come on, if my mom dressed like these women, I would NEVER let her leave the house - let alone meet my friends. All in all, television shows put a large mask over their entire cast members, giving the viewers a false identity of who these women are.

No comments:

Post a Comment