Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Fat Guy Lifted the Blinds

I’ve always wondered why on TV shows there have been couples that usually fit the same mold: fat dumb guy with a smart good looking lady (usually his wife). There are so many shows that have the same basic family layout. The readings and some parts of the video shed light on that scenario. After seeing what is behind this it makes more sense. Like most other things we have encountered and challenged in this class, I did not have any clue as to the reasons of why some things are the way they are; although I have had my theories.

After reading and hearing the reasons as to why media and those who control media decide to show those images, I can see their reasons. And I can also see that it works so well it keeps people watching and not questioning. I was and, in some aspects, still am one of those people. I still am a consumer of media and although I should question its origins and the meaning behind what I see, for the most part I don’t. That just goes to show the ingenious planning and implementation behind media. It can keep the working class working and their hands tied all the while making them, or us, believe that we are the “middle class”.

I personally have never been ashamed to claim my economic position; I am broke or poor. Hey ya’ll my name is Marcos Virella and I’m broke. Whatever you want to call it, at the end of the day I still don’t have money in my bank account. What gets me is that I was born into this situation and I have been raised being told that we (my family) were middle class. They got my parents too! Fooling them into believing a lie. I have always associated middle class with being poor. I didn’t know that middle class was what I didn’t have. I guess I wasn’t as fooled as my parents were (and still are). Instead of lowering my economic status, all I have to do is change the politically correct term I label myself with. I am no longer middle class, I am the working class. Although that may not seem to be a victory, it is. It shows that the cover isn’t over my eyes any longer. That my friends is a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment